Library renovations underway for new year
Welcome back new and returning Chadron State College students to the start of a new academic year! As you get into (or back into) the swing of college life, please take time to visit the Reta King Library located in the center of the campus.
Since the concept of academic libraries has become somewhat outdated, in that the design of the traditional academic library does not encourage collaborative group work (e.g., group student rooms, tutoring, student lounges, IT assistance); access to food and drink within the library (coffee shops); flexible learning environments (scattered computer stations); and inviting atmospheres (comfortable soft seating), the King Library is undergoing renovations to satisfy these missing pieces.
The library, along with the college administration, is in the midst of shifting the King Library in the direction of a Learning Commons area. This transformation will address the student and faculty needs by bringing together technology, tutoring, content, and services in an upgraded physical space that provides an engaging environment different from that of a typical library. The concept of a library learning commons is a “one-stop” learning oriented and learner centered space that is powered by the students, faculty, information technologists, tutoring coordinators, and librarians, all brewed together!
While it is hard to believe another summer is gone and the fall semester at CSC has begun, we all have an exciting, challenging, and rewarding semester ahead of us – particularly at the King Library. The entire Learning Commons staff is here to assist with all of your library service and research needs. Our regular hours are 7:30 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Friday; closed Saturday; and 1-9 p.m., Sunday. You can visit our website at www.csc.edu/library, or call us during regular hours at 308-432-6271.
Best wishes from all of us for a productive and successful academic year—we look forward to seeing you!
FastFacts: Library Changes
• Reference/Circulation desks redesigned and moved
• IT Help Desk has been relocated from Miller Hall to the main floor
• Biography/Fiction Library is located in the basement where the old coffee shop was
• Student lounge has been renovated
• Group study rooms can be found on the main floor near the reference desk
• Collaborative lounge spaces/comfortable soft furnishings added to the main floor
• Young adult library relocated, painted, and carpeted (in progress). The young adult library can be found in the former computer lab in the basement.
• Scattered computer stations, with updated computers, can be found on the main floor.
• Law library has moved adjacent to room 106 in the basement.
• Tutoring/writing center is currently on the main floor.
• Newly painted hallways, walls, and study rooms
• Coffee shop with upgraded vending is located on the main floor (in progress).
• Quiet study spaces on the upper level along with upgraded furnishings
• Bound periodicals are located in the basement in compact storage. They can still be checked out but all are available online.